Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Taking It Like A Man

On March 9th--just one day shy of a month since I lost my job--I appeared on the Fox News Channel's morning show "Fox & Friends" to talk about how being laid off affects men. As I am a) a man, and b) laid off, I was in a position to bring a certain authority and gravitas to the discussion.

This interview was part of an ongoing series called "Faces of the Recession." I appeared on a panel with two other unemployed men: William Scheckel, a marketing executive who'd been laid off from a consultancy serving the asset management world, and Jonathan Steuer, who had worked for a market research firm. We did two segments together. I got a bit more air time in the second one, so of course that hasn't been posted. However, here is the first segment, which, unfortunately, is called "Taking It Like a Man."



This came about because of two Fox producers who were on the ball. The first was someone I'd worked with, booking authors on the network. I alerted her after I lost my job, and she replied to express her sympathy, but she did something else as well: She forwarded my email to a colleague who was working on "Faces of the Recession."

This second producer gave me a call at home and asked me a lot of questions about my background and experience. She said she would keep in touch and I thought that would be the end of it. But she was true to her word, and good at her job. A couple of weeks later she called me again to see if I wanted to participate in a segment, and the next thing I knew, I was in the Fox green room at 6:15 am scarfing down coffee and banana nut muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment